Whether you are a coffee drinker or a tea drinker, this almond milk chai tea latte is a great source of antioxidants and is a great way for you to get a boost of caffeine! Add this chai tea latte to your morning routine or make yourself a mug for a mid-afternoon snack!
Chai Tea Latte – Do You Like it Hot or Cold?
“I’ll take a dirty chai tea latte with an extra shot, please.”—> that is currently my order at every coffee shop that I go to. Sometimes it a hot dirty chai latte and sometimes it’s a cold chai tea latte. One thing it always has is a shot of espresso. Who says you have to choose between tea and coffee? You can have them BOTH.
I’ve spent a good chunk of my paycheck on chai tea lattes lately, so I am super pumped about this chai tea latte that you can make at home! Chai tea typically has a black tea base and a blend of warm spices. When you order a chai tea latte at a coffee shop they typically use an already brewed chai tea. Our favorite is Gray Duck Chai, not only because it is Minnesota brewed, but because it’s the perfect balance of spicy + sweet!
Instead of using an already brewed chai tea, we steep our own black tea and use our DIY Chai Spices to make the perfect at home chai tea latte. Heck yes, we make our own chai tea spices! We have used our chai spices in other recipes like our Vegan Chai Hot Chocolate Recipe and our Chocolate Chai Overnight Oats. We just love chai over here, people!
Why chai? There are so many reasons. Let’s get down to it.
Chai Tea Latte Recipe Q & A
- What is chai tea? Chai tea has a base of black tea with a mixture of warm ayurvedic spices. Typically, chai spices consist of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice, nutmeg, cloves and sometimes even black pepper! Check out our DIY Chai Spice recipe for details!
- Does chai tea have caffeine? Yes, chai tea does have caffeine has about 40 mg of caffeine if you use a 4 oz. bag of black tea! You can also make your chai tea latte with decaffeinated black tea!
Chai Tea Health Benefits
Not only is chai tea delicious, but it also has a slew of health benefits! If you are looking to debloat or become a little more regular in the loo, add a cup of chai tea to your daily routine! Chai tea is magical for a few more reasons, too–>
- Good for digestion- Chai tea spices are a combination of some amazing digestive spices that promote healthy bowels, people! Cinnamon and ginger are said to calm the stomach while spices like cardamon and allspice have properties that help decrease bloating.
- Reduced Caffeine- Yes, black tea does have caffeine, but it has half the amount of caffeine than a cup of black coffee. If you are looking to cut back on your caffeine intake try black tea instead of coffee! Or? Make yourself a delicious chai tea latte, duh!
- Antioxidant-rich Black tea is the base of most chai tea and black tea is antioxidant-rich, (especially in flavonoids) which support heart health!
- Anti Inflammatory Ginger and cinnamon are two of the main ingredients in our DIY chai spices and both ginger and cinnamon are known for their anti-inflammatory properties!
How to Make a Chai Tea Latte
- Before mixing up this chai tea latte recipe choose a chai spice mixture and black tea. We used our DIY Chai Spices and two bags of Earl Grey tea (because it’s our favorite). Feel free to choose any kind of black tea- caffeinated or noncaffeinated.
- Next, place almond milk and tea bags into a sauce pan and bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Let sit for at least 3 minues or longer if you would like it stronger.
- Finally, place chai spices, maple, and whisk until spices disolve in the milk.
- Serve hot or over ice.
Does it get any easier than that? You’ll be a chai tea latte master in no time!
Healthy Drink Recipes
- Vegan Chai Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Festive Hot Toddy Recipe
- Dairy Free Spiked Hot Chocolate
- Decadent Spiced Coconut Hot Chocolate
- Post Workout Cold Brew Protein Drink
- Peanut Butter Banana Cold Brew Protein Smoothie
Chai Tea Latte
Whether you are a coffee drinker or a tea drinker, this almond milk chai tea latte is a great source of antioxidants and is a great way for you to get a boost off caffeine! Add this chai tea latte to your morning routine or make yourself a mug for a mid-afternoon snack!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- 2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 black tea bags
- 2 teaspoons homemade chai spice
- 1– 2 tablespoons maple syrup (to taste)
- optional: 2 shots espresso (to make it dirty)
- Place almond milk and tea bags in a small pot. Turn heat to medium/high and bring to a boil. Immediately remove from heat and let tea steep for 3 minutes.
- Remove tea bags from almond milk and add chai spice and maple syrup. Mix until combined.
- Serve hot or over ice.
- Serving Size: 1/2
- Calories: 49
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 181
- Fat: 3
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 1