This almond milk chai tea latte is a great source of antioxidants and is a great way for you to get a boost of caffeine! Add this chai tea latte to your morning routine or make yourself a mug for a mid-afternoon snack!
Do You Like it Hot or Cold?
“I’ll take a dirty chai tea latte with an extra shot, please.”—> that is currently my order at every coffee shop that I go to. I love Starbucks chai tea latte and I sometimes like to make it dirty, it’s seriously the best! Sometimes it a hot dirty chai latte and sometimes it’s a cold chai tea latte.
One thing it always has is a shot of espresso. Who says you have to choose between tea and coffee? You can have them BOTH.
Chai tea does typically have caffeine, so if you aren’t looking for an extra boost of energy, you do not need the extra shot of caffeine in your chai tea latte, you do you!
I am here to tell you that you CAN make your own chai tea latte at home!
Make Your Latte at Home
I’ve spent a good chunk of my paycheck on chai tea lattes lately, so I am super pumped about this chai tea latte that you can make at home!
Here is everything you need before you start whipping up a chai tea latte at home–>
- Almond Milk
- Chai Tea Bags
- Chai Spice
- Maple Syrup
- Espresso (optional)
What is a chai latte made of?
Chai tea typically has a black tea base and a blend of warm spices such as:
When you order a chai tea latte at a coffee shop they typically use an already brewed chai tea. Our favorite is Gray Duck Chai, not only because it is Minnesota brewed, but because it’s the perfect balance of spicy + sweet!
Instead of using an already brewed chai tea, we steep our own black tea and use our DIY Chai Spices to make the perfect at home chai tea latte. Heck yes, we make our own chai tea spices!
We have used our chai spices in other delicious fall and winter recipes!
Why chai? There are so many reasons. Let’s chat about this chai latte.
Chai Tea Latte Recipe Q & A
What is chai tea?
Chai tea has a base of black tea with a mixture of warm ayurvedic spices.
Typically, chai spices consist of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice, nutmeg, cloves and sometimes even black pepper! Check out our DIY Chai Spice recipe for details!
Does chai tea have caffeine?
Yes, chai tea does have caffeine has about 40 mg of caffeine if you use a 4 oz. bag of black tea! You can also make your chai tea latte with decaffeinated black tea!
Are chai tea lattes bad for you?
Everything in moderation! Chai tea lattes have some great healthy benefits!
Chai Tea Health Benefits
Not only is chai tea delicious, but it also has a slew of health benefits! If you are looking to de-bloat or become a little more regular in the loo, add a cup of chai tea to your daily routine!
Good for digestion- Chai tea spices are a combination of some amazing digestive spices that promote healthy bowels, people!
Cinnamon and ginger are said to calm the stomach while spices like cardamon and allspice have properties that help decrease bloating.
Reduced Caffeine- Yes, black tea does have caffeine, but it has half the amount of caffeine than a cup of black coffee.
If you are looking to cut back on your caffeine intake try black tea instead of coffee! Or? Make yourself a delicious chai tea latte, duh!
Antioxidant-rich Black tea is the base of most chai tea and black tea is antioxidant-rich, (especially in flavonoids) which support heart health!
Anti Inflammatory Ginger and cinnamon are two of the main ingredients in our DIY chai spices and both ginger and cinnamon are known for their anti-inflammatory properties!
How to Make a Chai Tea Latte
- Before mixing up this chai tea latte recipe choose a chai spice mixture and black tea. We used our DIY Chai Spices and two bags of Earl Grey tea (because it’s our favorite). Feel free to choose any kind of black tea- caffeinated or non-caffeinated.
- Next, place almond milk, tea bags, maple syrup, and chai spices into a sauce pan and bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Let seep for at least 3 minutes or longer if you would like it stronger.
- Remove tea bags and pour the whole mixture through a fine sieve into a mug (if you don’t have a sieve just be sure to not pour the sediment at the bottom of the pot into the mug.
- Serve hot or over ice.
Does it get any easier than that? You’ll be a chai tea latte master in no time!
Healthy Drink Recipes
- 2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 black tea bags
- 2 teaspoons homemade chai spice
- 1– 2 tablespoons maple syrup (to taste)
- optional: 2 shots espresso (to make it dirty)
- Place almond milk, tea bags, maple syrup, and chai spices into a small sauce pan and whisk.
- Next, bring to a boil over medium/high heat and immediately remove from heat.
- Let the tea seep for at least 3 minutes or longer if you would like it stronger.
- Remove tea bags and pour the whole mixture through a fine sieve into a mug (if you don’t have a sieve just be sure to not pour the sediment at the bottom of the pot into the mug).
- Serve hot or over ice.
Tips & Notes
*Recipe method was updated on October 19th, 2020.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/2 Calories: 49 Sugar: 3 Sodium: 181 Fat: 3 Carbohydrates: 5 Fiber: 1 Protein: 1
Keywords: Chai tea latte