Jazz up your breakfast game with these delicious Healthy Lemon Ricotta Pancakes! Made with 10 simple ingredients and flavored-packed with ricotta cheese and lemon zest, these healthy pancakes can’t be beat!
Find all our healthy pancake recipes in one place, and bookmark THIS link to reference next time you’re in the pancake-making mood!
Healthy Breakfast with a Fancy Twist
Ricotta and lemon zest in pancakes, you say?! These delicious healthy pancakes are reminiscent of fancy pastries, except they’re easy to make, and you don’t need ingredients you’ll never use again! If you’re looking to jazz up your breakfast game for the fam, or wow brunch guests coming over, this recipe is for you!
Ricotta Pancakes Ingredients
Each of these ingredients play a delicious role in these healthy pancakes! Let’s get into it:
- White whole wheat flour: We have many GF pancake recipes here on FFF, but for these lemon ricotta pancakes, we decided to stick with trusty ol’ white whole wheat. If you try these pancakes with a GF option, let us know how it goes in the comments!
- Baking powder: Baking powder is the way to go with pancakes! You’ll need 2 teaspoons.
- Ricotta cheese: The true star of the show for these pancakes! Ricotta adds the fantastic tart flavor and a delicious texture that’s perfectly mixed throughout the entire batter.
- Lemon zest: Lemon zest is the perfect complement to ricotta!
- Eggs: Eggs not only add fluffiness to this pancake recipe, but protein, too! If you’re looking for a vegan option, you can try using 2 flax eggs instead.
- Almond extract: Can’t go wrong with a splash of almond extract. A little goes a long way with this flavor!
- Coconut oil: We nixed the butter and used coconut oil instead for a silky smooth flavor and texture!
- Honey: Just the right amount of sweetness in these pancakes comes from the honey!
Toppings for Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
These healthy pancakes are delicious on their very own, but even more jazzy with any of the following (or a combination!) toppings:
- Sliced strawberries
- Blackberries (pictured here!)
- Additional lemon zest
- Nut butter
- Whipped cream
- Greek yogurt
- First, let your pancakes cool completely. The reason we do this is so that the pancakes can come down to room temperature and stop producing so much moisture (steam). This will prevent freezer burn in the freezer.
- Then, stack 1 serving of pancakes (2 pancakes) together. Tightly wrap them in a piece of plastic wrap or a Ziploc bag. Make sure to remove as much air as possible (this is also to prevent freezer burn).
- Place pancakes in the freezer and freeze for up to 3 months. Make sure to write the type of pancakes and the date you’re freezing them on the outside of the bag or plastic wrap!
Thaw and Reheat Pancakes
- Option 1: Thaw ricotta pancakes in the refrigerator overnight. Then, microwave for 60 seconds in the morning.
- Option 2: Place frozen pancakes directly in the toaster and toast on medium until warm all the way through.
- The Best Healthy Pancakes on the Internet
- Blueberry Protein Pancakes
- Banana Oatmeal Pancakes
- ALL Pancake Recipes
Healthy Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Place dry ingredients into a medium bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Then, in a separate bowl, crack 2 eggs and whisk. Add almond milk, lemon zest, ricotta cheese, almond extract, and honey and whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix making sure all ingredients are combined. Finally, add in 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil and mix again.
- Next, heat a large skillet over low/medium heat. Spray skillet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop pancake batter into the skillet. Let the pancake cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, flipping when bubbles start to form in the center of the pancake. when Repeat until all pancake batter is gone.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Photos by The Wooden Skillet.