These Creamy Coconut Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats are healthy, delicious and oh so easy to make. Place a few healthy ingredients in your crockpot before bed and have a gluten-free breakfast ready to go in the morning!
Steel cut oats lovers and meal prep breakfast queens unite! This creamy coconut slow cooker steel cut oats recipe is EVERYTHING. Get ready to throw all of the ingredients (and there aren’t many!) in your slow cooker, flip the switch, go to bed, and wake up to the best coconut steel cut oats of your life.
Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats
If you’ve made steel cut oats before, you know that they take almost an hour to cook on the stove top. So, the slow cooker steel cut oats method has become one of our go-tos because you really can set it and forget it. We also love cooking steel cut oats in the Instant Pot because it significantly cuts down on the cook time required for the stove top method.
We also love steel cut oats because of how much protein they pack! Each 1/4 cup serving of steel cut oats contains 7g of protein. And according to our friends over at Bob’s Red Mill, steel cut oats are one of the healthiest grains you can eat because they’re minimally processed and contain more fiber than other oats. Booya.
Full-Fat Coconut Milk
Next order of business: full fat coconut milk is your friend, people! Especially in this recipe. We tested this with both lite coconut milk and full fat, and definitely prefer the full fat — it gives these slow cooker steel cut oats the most delicious and creamy coconut flavor. We promise you won’t regret it 😀
Also! 4.5 cups of milk + a can of coconut milk may look like too much liquid in your slow cooker before the steel cut oats cook, but it sure does soak it all up. 1 cup of uncooked steel cut oatmeal will serve 4, so this recipe serves 6. Depending on the size of your slow cooker and how many you’re serving, feel free to 1/2 or double this recipe. We love to cook up the full 6 servings, and then plop the leftovers in our glass Pyrex containers and put ’em in the fridge to eat for the rest of the week. Secret: this slow cooker steel cut oats recipe is even delicious cold 🙂
Now all you need to do is throw some toppings on your slow cooker steel cut oats and you’ve got yourself a beautiful breakfast. Some of our favorite oatmeal toppings include:
- Dried coconut slices
- Banana slices
- Sliced pineapple
- Apple slices
- Sliced almonds
- Nut butter
Other Oatmeal Recipes on Fit Foodie Finds
- Maple Cinnamon Crockpot Steel Cut Oats
- 50 Best Oatmeal Recipes on the Planet
- 10-Minute Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
- Chocolate Chai Vegan Overnight Oats
- Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
- Peanut Butter Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Triple Berry Baked Oatmeal Cups
- 5 Quick and Healthy Overnight Oats Recipes
- Nutrition-Packed Oatmeal Recipes That Will Make You Swoon
Slow Cooker Creamy Coconut Steel Cut Oats
- First, spray your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Then, place all ingredients in slow cooker and stir.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 2-4 hours. If possible, stir every few hours to prevent sticking.
- Top with a pinch of cinnamon and your favorite toppings.
Tips & Notes
- Nutrition information is calculated using 4.5 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk and without maple syrup.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.