Make your breakfast a savory one and prep these delicious black bean breakfast bowls for the week! They’re made with black beans, sautéed kale, brown rice, an egg, and all the fixins!
By now I’m sure you are aware that I am obsessed with ALL THINGS BOWLS. Why? So many flavors in one meal. Usually I keep my bowl consumption to just lunch and/or dinner, however I was recently inspired by a local Minneapolis restaurant to bowl it up for breakfast! The Freehouse in the North Loop has an amazing breakfast menu and when I was there a few weeks ago I ordered their breakfast bowl.
…because WHY WOULDN’T I?
Silly me…I forgot to snap a photo of what theirs looked like, but I can tell you what’s in it —> black beans, brown rice, tomato salsa, poached egg, sunflower seeds, and queso fresco. Operation- recreate it in my own kitchen!
Now that I am a PULSES wizard I pretty much find any excuse to add them to a recipe. Plus, 2016 is the International Year of Pulses. Black beans are my jam, so these of course are the star of the recipe. They’re spiced with cumin, chili powder, garlic, sriracha, and salt and pepper, for the perfect amount of heat and flavor!
Fun fact: Did you know…that per 1/2 cup of black beans you get almost 20g protein and less than a gram of fat. HUZZAH.
I of course turned to The Healthy Maven for her infamous Tahini Dressing. She swears by this stuff, so I figured why try and change something great when I can just make that! It’s got tahini, lemon, garlic, water, and salt in it. Such an easy and yummy dressing that’s creamy and satisfying. You need it in your life!
My Black Bean Breakfast Bowl features…
- black beans
- garlicky kale
- short grain brown rice
- tahini dressing
- fried egg
- pumpkin seeds
BREAKFAST FOR DAYS PLEASE.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 purple onion, finely diced
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 4 cups kale, deboned
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs , large
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 2 cups water
- Heat olive oil and garlic in a skillet on medium/high heat. Then, add in diced onion and sauté until translucent. Add in the rest of the ingredients and let simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Wash and debone kale. Then, remove all moisture by patting dry with paper towel. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet to medium/high heat. Add in kale and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until kale is slightly wilted. Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Generously spray a skillet with olive oil cooking spray. Turn to medium/high heat. Crack egg onto skillet and let cook for 1-2 minutes or until the egg white begins to turn solid. Cover and continue cooking until the egg is no longer runny. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring brown rice and water to a rolling boil. Turn heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the water has absorbed and the rice is fluffy.
- THM’s Tahini Dressing
- pumpkin seeds
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 4 Calories: 369 Sugar: 2 Fat: 17 Fiber: 9 Protein: 16
Don’t forget to take your pulse pledge and eat more pulses in 2016!
This post is sponsored by USA Pulses & Pulse Canada as 2016 is the Year of the Pulses! I was compensated and all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting Fit Foodie Finds.