The fluffiest raspberry muffins come out light and airy and are made with a delicious streusel topping!
Best Raspberry Muffin Recipe
Got raspberries? Make these gorgeous raspberry muffins. They’re so fluffy, perfectly sweet, and made with a streusel topping. What more could you ask for?
We love making raspberry muffins year-round because they’re so accessible. But, if you can’t find raspberries, you can always sub for a different berry.
These raspberry crumble muffins have a sweet crumble topping while the muffin itself isn’t super sweet for the most perfect combination.
Why you’ll love them!
Made with basic ingredients
Easy to freeze
- All-purpose flour: all-purpose flour is light and airy.
- Lemon zest: citrus really brightens up the fresh raspberry flavor.
- Brown sugar: light brown sugar keeps these muffins nice and light in color.
- Raspberries: we used fresh raspberries, but frozen would work too.
- Almond extract: almond extract adds a wonderful nutty flavor.
- Butter: butter keeps these muffins nice and light.
- Avocado oil: avocado oil adds moisture, while not a ton of flavor.
- Almond milk: almond milk is used to thin out the batter.
- Eggs: eggs are necessary for binding everything together.
You are going to swoon over this easy streusel topping! Here’s what you need:
- old-fashioned rolled oats
- all purpose flour
- slivered almonds
- brown sugar
- almond extract
make it easy
Print Your Own
Keep common kitchen conversions like tablespoons to teaspoons and Fahrenheit to Celsius on hand at all times with our printable kitchen conversions chart.
How to Make Raspberry Muffins
- Make streusel topping: combine all ingredients for the streusel topping. Once a crumble forms, set it aside.
- Mix dry ingredients: Add the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl and toss. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar: cream the lemon zest, butter, almond extract, and sugar. Then, add avocado oil, eggs, and milk.
- Combine: add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix to combine. Then, fold in the fresh raspberries.
- Fill muffin tin: Fill each muffin around 3/4 of the way full and then sprinkle on a heaping tablespoon of streusel topping.
- Bake: Bake at 350ºF for 14-18 minutes.
Avocado oil –> applesauce: we tested this recipe with both avocado oil and applesauce. Both work and are delicious. If you use applesauce it will be a bit denser.
All-purpose flour –> white whole wheat flour: both AP flour and white whole wheat flour work for this recipe. If you use white whole wheat flour, your muffins will be darker in color and a bit denser.
Raspberries –> blueberries/strawberries: feel free to swap the raspberries for a different berry of choice!
How to Freeze Berries
Freeze berries at home and have them on hand for everything from smoothies to baking! This how to freeze berries tutorial will walk you through how to freeze strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries in 5 easy steps!
Store cooled muffins in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to 3 days. Or, for best results, in the refrigerator.
How to Freeze Raspberry Muffins
- Let muffins cool completely.
- Then, place them on a cookie sheet so that they aren’t touching.
- Freeze for 2 hours.
- After they are partially frozen, transfer them into a freezer-safe gallon-size bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
Dry Muffin Ingredients
- 1.75 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
Wet Muffin Ingredients
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup avocado oil or applesauce we tested both
- 1/2 cup almond milk + 2 tablespoons or any milk
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a muffin tin with muffin paper cups. Set aside.
- Prepare the streusel topping. Add the rolled oats, flour, almonds, brown sugar, butter, and almond extract to a mixing bowl. Use a spoon (or your hands work best) and cut the ingredients together until a crumble forms. This may take 4-5 minutes. Set streusel topping aside for later.
- Next, add the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl and toss. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the lemon zest, brown sugar, almond extract, and butter until light and fluffy with an electric mixer.
- Drizzle the avocado oil into the creamed mixture and mix together until combined. Add the eggs and mix to combine. Add 1/2 cup of milk to the batter. If the consistency is thick and creamy your batter is ready. If your batter is too thick like cookie dough, add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time until it reaches a thinner consistency.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix to combine. Add the raspberries to the batter and fold them in with a spatula.
- Fill each muffin about ¾ of the way full and then sprinkle 1-1.5 tablespoons of streusel over the top of each muffin. Gently press the streusel into the top of the muffin batter. Spray the streusel with a little bit of cooking spray and place the muffins in the oven.
- Bake the muffins for 18-22 minutes or until they are cooked on the inside.
Tips & Notes
- We have tested this recipe with white whole wheat and all-purpose flour. They both worked. White whole wheat flour will give you a darker color and all-purpose flour will give you a lighter in color and a bit fluffier texture.
- We have tested this recipe with avocado oil and applesauce. Both work.
- We spray the top of each muffin with cooking spray to make sure the streusel ends up a golden color.
- You may end up with a little extra streusel, feel free to over top a few muffins.
Don’t like streusel topping? Skip it!
- Nutrition information is uses applesauce.
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Ashley McGlaughlin from The Edible Perspective.
I made these this afternoon and just had one for dessert…YUM! Love the hints of almond and lemon – adds so much! Delicious!
Thanks so much, Peggy!
These were sooo good!! Raspberry, lemon zest, almond- perfection. Definitely making these again.