Cottage Cheese Protein Pancakes for the win! Who’s with me? If you’re all about healthy pancakes and getting a protein boost at the same time then you will love this protein pancake recipe! They’re made with 100% ground oat flour, cottage cheese, and mashed banana.
I know today is Monday…but let’s talk about Sunday. Sunday is a total pancake day for Mark and me. The first one up is in charge of pancakes and the second one up is in charge of the French press. It’s just something that we do now that we live together and I love it. When we’re lazy, we use my favorite packaged pancakes — Kodiak Cakes, but if we’re feeling goooood, we’ll whip up a homemade recipe. Lately I’ve been trying extra hard to get more protein into my breakfast (I’m a carb girl), so that’s where protein pancakes come in. Carbs + Protein = Love.
This recipe though.
If you’re looking for a protein pancake recipe that uses actual protein powder, this isn’t your recipe! The star protein ingredient of these easy protein pancakes is actually…COTTAGE CHEESE! Plz tell me you guys love cottage cheese? I don’t buy it often, but when I do…GET IN MY FACE. I’m sure you’re thinking…cottage cheese in pancakes? That’s weird. I know it sounds a little odd, but it’s actually quite genius. The cottage cheese melts a little bit and makes these pancakes so creamy and delicious. They also add a boatload of protein to these babies. YAS.
PS: you could totally sub out some of the oat flour for a scoop of protein powder. I’d do about 1/4 cup to 1/4 cup. HERE is my favorite whey protein powder and HERE is my favorite plant-based protein powder.
Let’s talk about the other ingredients. We chose to use 100% ground oat flour instead of white whole wheat to make this recipe gluten-free and whole grain. I also forgot how much I love oat flour in pancakes. It’s hearty and wholesome and nutty and delicious. Don’t feel intimidated about oat flour. You can actually make it yourself by grinding up some rolled oats in a blender or food processor. WINNING. You also need….
What You Need
- maple syrup
- vanilla extract
- oat flour
- coconut oil
- almond milk
I almost guarantee you have everything you need for these in your fridge. Get it.
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup 2% cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1.5 cups ground oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together two eggs and then add the rest of the wet ingredients (except for the coconut oil). Mix until combined and set aside.
- Next, add all dry ingredients into a separate bowl and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix.
- Finally, add in melted coconut oil and mix until smooth.
- Scoop a heaping 1/4 cup of the batter onto your pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Tips & Notes
- If your batter feels too thin, add a few tablespoons of flour and if it feels too thick, add a few tablespoons of almond milk.