Love chicken wings, but don’t want to heat up your whole house? Make our amazing Crockpot Chicken Wings for your next appetizer or snack. Bonus, these crockpot bbq chicken wings aren’t fried, so they’re on the healthier side!
How to Make Crockpot Chicken Wings
The crockpot might actually be the easiest method to cook chicken wings. It’s a set it and forget it kind of method and I totally dig it. Follow the following steps to make the most delicious BBQ chicken wings on the planet.
Step 1: Season
Before tossing your uncooked wings into the slow cooker, doctor them up with some salt and pepper on both sides. Be generous here. Once, they’re fully seasoned, spray the bottom of your crockpot with cooking spray and place them on the bottom.
Fresh or Frozen Wings?
Good news and bad news! Good news: You can buy either frozen or fresh chicken wings at the grocery store and either will work. Actually, we recommend buying them frozen because you’re more likely to find a drummies + wings combo frozen than fresh! The other nice thing about buying them frozen is you’re more likely to be able to find the drummies and wings already separated than having to do it yourself, which is a mess!
Bad news: if you buy frozen chicken wings, we recommend thawing them before cooking them in the slow cooker. No worries, all you have to do is let them thaw in the refrigerator overnight and you’re ready to go!
Step 2: Slather
Now it’s time to pour in about 1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce. You can either use store bought BBQ sauce or make your own at home. Give the wings a nice stir to make sure everything is fully coated in BBQ Sauce. Don’t worry, you’ll use more sauce later.
Healthy BBQ Sauce Suggestions
Looking for healthy BBQ sauce suggestions? Here are some of our favs:
Step 3: Slow Cook
Cover your slow cooker and cook on high for around 2 hours or on low for around 4. Your chicken wings will be extremely moist once they’re done cooking, but don’t worry, we’ll teach you how to crisp them up a bit!
Step 4: Brush & Bake/Grill/Broil
Remove chicken wings from the slow cooker and place them on a pan. Brush both sides of all the wings with more sauce. By brushing the wings with sauce before you cook them again, the BBQ sauce will caramelize and become super delish.
Now it’s time to dry them out a little bit and give them that chewy, delicious texture. Depending on the season or what you have available, we’ve got options here. Our favorite way? GRILLED!
- Bake: Bake wings at 400ºF for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Grill: Grill wings at 450 for 1-015 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Broil: Broil on high for 2-5 minutes, flipping halfway.
As always, feel free to add more sauce or bake longer, if desired. We wanted to make a note that because you aren’t frying your chicken wings, they won’t get super crunchy like at a restaurant. We’ve found that the higher the heat, the more restaurant-like they will be. Remember, they just sat in a crockpot for 2 hours and because super moist!
Step 5: Dip it, girllll!
What would a chicken wing be without the sauce? Just a piece of meat if you ask me! Serve your crockpot chicken wings with your favorite sauce such as:
More Wing Recipes
Crockpot BBQ Chicken Wings Video
- 3 lbs. fresh or frozen uncooked chicken wings
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce (or more if desired)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by prepping chicken wings. If frozen, thaw chicken wings in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Then, season uncooked chicken wings with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray the bottom and sides of your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray and place chicken wings on the bottom. Pour in 1/2 cup of bbq sauce and mix until chicken wings are fully coated
- Cook in the slow cooker on high for 2 hours.
- Then, remove chicken wings from slow cooker and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Brush on an additional 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce to both sides of the chicken wings.
- Bake: Preheat oven to 400ºF. Bake chicken wings for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Broil: Preheat oven to high broil. Broil on high for 2-5 minutes (depending on how hot your oven gets), flipping halfway.
- Grill: Preheat grill to 450ºF. Grill chicken wings for around 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway.
- The goal for baking, broiling, or grilling your chicken wings after is to create a nice thick coating of bbq sauce. This should also harden the skin a bit so it’s not so moist from the slow cooker.
Tips & Notes
- Nutrition information is for 8 servings and uses Annie’s Organic BBQ Sauce.
Nutrition FactsServing Size: 1/8 Calories: 365 Sugar: 4 Fat: 25 Carbohydrates: 6 Fiber: 0 Protein: 29
Keywords: crockpot chicken wings