Get ready for the best vegan mac and cheese recipe! The next time you are craving some mac, make this easy homemade mac and cheese. It is made with a cashew cream sauce that is creamy and oh-so-delicious!
When the temperature drops below 60ºF in Minnesota we come out guns blazing with everything fall and winter. Bring on the wool socks, red wing boots, and scarves. Even if you’re not a fan of our Minnesota chilly weather, you tend to love the transition. Wearing Redwings and wool socks if fun, right?
Another thing we do up here in da North is prep our bodies for a long winter. AKA, we eat warm, comforting, and heavier food than normal. Recently my body has been hardcore craving soup, stew, red meat, and meals like this vegan mac and cheese! I’m not complaining. It happens every year. At first, you’re like, WHOA what the heck are these cravings. But then? You nest.
You give into your animal instincts to make a beef stew and hot cocoa every night until the groundhog decides when spring will come.
If you’re looking for a delicious easy homemade mac and cheese recipe for you and the family, this vegan mac and cheese recipe is one of Team Fit Foodie’s new favorite recipes! We were inspired after we made this Vegan Queso to test out different cashew cheese sauce recipes.
Yes, we love cheese on Team Fit Foodie, but we also love (and I mean LOVE) cashew sauce. I also have high cholesterol (thanks Dad) and recipes like this vegan mac and cheese make it easy for me to eat food that is good for me without sacrificing flavor. So, YAY.
Things to remember when making vegan mac and cheese…
- Make sure you actually soak your cashews before you blend them (overnight or soak them in hot water for 15 minutes). Soaking your cashews will give you the creamy consistency you want for a cashew cheese sauce and will help you digest the sauce better!
- The nutritional yeast is very important in this recipe. It gives it the cheesy flavor you are looking for in a vegan cheese sauce. However, feel free to add your favorite dried spices to this sauce to make it your own!
- Having a high powered blender or food processor is crucial when making this recipe. You want to get this sauce as creamy as possible. We use our Vitamix Blender or our Ninja food processor to get the job done.
- This vegan cheese sauce is 100% better if you heat it up. SO DO IT.
Got Q’s about vegan mac and cheese?
What exactly is nutritional yeast? Nutritional yeast is deactivated yeast that has a nutty or cheesy flavor.
How long does cashew cheese cause last? Cashew cheese sauce will last anywhere from 4-7 days in the fridge!
How do you make creamy cashew sauce? Soak cashews overnight or in hot water for 15 minutes. Then, blend until creamy and add your favorite spices!
Fit Foodie Finds Healthy Vegan Dinners
- Vegan Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot Vegan Pad Thai
- Mexican Sweet Potato Quinoa Casserole
- Creamy Tomato Basil Vegan Pasta
Super Simple Vegan Mac and Cheese
Get ready for the best vegan mac and cheese recipe! The next time you are craving mac and cheese, make this easy homemade mac and cheese. It is made with a cashew cream sauce that is creamy and oh-so-delicious! Make this a gluten-free mac and cheese recipe by using your favorite gluten-free noodles!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Frank’s Hot Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 servings of your favorite noodle
- Place all ingredients (except for noodles) into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place cheese sauce into a small saucepan and heat over low/medium to your desired temperature.
- Pour vegan cheese sauce over your favorite noodles and enjoy!