Get ready for the best vegan mac and cheese you’ve ever had! It’s made with a cashew cream sauce that is easy to make and oh so delicious.
Fall Recipes, Here we Come!
When the temperature drops below 40ºF in Minnesota we come out guns blazing with everything fall and winter. Bring on the wool socks, Red Wing boots, and scarves. Even if you’re not a fan of our Minnesota chilly weather, it’s nice to appreciate the seasonal transition.
Another thing we do up here in da northland is prep our bodies for a long winter. AKA, we eat warm, comforting, and heavier food than normal. Recently my body has been craving soup, stew, and meals like this vegan mac and cheese! I’m not complaining. It happens every year.
If you’re looking for a delicious easy homemade mac and cheese recipe for you and the family, this vegan mac and cheese recipe is one of Team Fit Foodie’s new favorites! We were inspired after we made this vegan queso to test out different cashew cheese sauce recipes.
Yes, we love cheese on Team Fit Foodie, but we also love (and I mean LOVE) cashew sauce. I also have high cholesterol (thanks, dad) and recipes like this vegan mac and cheese make it easy for me to eat food that is good for me without sacrificing flavor. So, YAY.
Things to Remember When Making Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Make sure you actually soak your cashews before you blend them (overnight or soak them in hot water for 15 minutes). Soaking your cashews will give you the creamy consistency you want for a cashew cheese sauce (instead of a more grainy / chunky sauce).
- The nutritional yeast is crucial in this recipe. It gives it the cheesy flavor you are looking for in a vegan cheese sauce.
- Having a high-speed blender or food processor is crucial when making this recipe as well. You want to get this sauce as creamy as possible. We use our Vitamix blender or our Ninja food processor to get the job done.
- This vegan cheese sauce is 100% better if you heat that cheese up. SO DO IT.
Vegan Mac and Cheese Q&A
What exactly is nutritional yeast? Nutritional yeast is deactivated yeast that has a nutty or cheesy flavor.
How long does cashew cheese sauce last? Cashew cheese sauce will last anywhere from 4-7 days in the fridge when stored in an air-tight container!
How do you make creamy cashew sauce? Soak the cashews overnight or in hot water for 15 minutes. Then, blend until creamy and add your favorite spices!
Vegan Mac and Cheese Toppings
This mac and cheese is oh so delish on its own, but feel free to get creative and add your favorite toppings:
- Steamed or roasted broccoli
- Roasted brussels sprouts
- Steamed peas
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Roasted red peppers
- Hot sauce
- Bread crumbs
If you’re not vegan, and want to just keep this recipe dairy-free, top with:
- Seared ahi tuna
- Honey sriracha shredded chicken
- Pulled BBQ chicken
- Honey garlic shredded chicken
- Diced bacon
More Vegan Recipes
- Vegan Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot Vegan Pad Thai
- Mexican Sweet Potato Quinoa Casserole
- Creamy Tomato Basil Vegan Pasta
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Frank’s Hot Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 servings of your favorite noodle
- Place all ingredients (except for noodles) into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place cheese sauce into a small saucepan and heat over low/medium to your desired temperature.
- Pour vegan cheese sauce over your favorite noodles and enjoy!