Get ready for the best vegan mac and cheese you’ve ever had! It’s made with a cashew cream sauce that is easy to make and oh so delicious.
Fall Recipes, Here we Come!
When the temperature drops below 40ºF in Minnesota we come out guns blazing with everything fall and winter. Bring on the wool socks, Red Wing boots, and scarves. Even if you’re not a fan of our Minnesota chilly weather, it’s nice to appreciate the seasonal transition.
Another thing we do up here in da northland is prep our bodies for a long winter. AKA, we eat warm, comforting, and heavier food than normal. Recently my body has been craving soup, stew, and meals like this vegan mac and cheese! I’m not complaining. It happens every year.
Super Creamy Cashew Sauce
If you’re looking for a delicious easy homemade mac and cheese recipe for you and the family, this vegan mac and cheese recipe is one of Team Fit Foodie’s new favorites! We were inspired after we made this vegan queso to test out different cashew cheese sauce recipes.
Yes, we love cheese on Team Fit Foodie, but we also love (and I mean LOVE) cashew sauce. I also have high cholesterol (thanks, dad) and recipes like this vegan mac and cheese make it easy for me to eat food that is good for me without sacrificing flavor. So, YAY.
Things to Remember When Making Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Make sure you actually soak your cashews before you blend them (overnight or soak them in hot water for 15 minutes). Soaking your cashews will give you the creamy consistency you want for a cashew cheese sauce (instead of a more grainy / chunky sauce).
- The nutritional yeast is crucial in this recipe. It gives it the cheesy flavor you are looking for in a vegan cheese sauce.
- Having a high-speed blender or food processor is crucial when making this recipe as well. You want to get this sauce as creamy as possible. We use our Vitamix blender or our Ninja food processor to get the job done.
- This vegan cheese sauce is 100% better if you heat that cheese up. SO DO IT.
Vegan Mac and Cheese Q&A
What exactly is nutritional yeast? Nutritional yeast is deactivated yeast that has a nutty or cheesy flavor.
How long does cashew cheese sauce last? Cashew cheese sauce will last anywhere from 4-7 days in the fridge when stored in an air-tight container!
How do you make creamy cashew sauce? Soak the cashews overnight or in hot water for 15 minutes. Then, blend until creamy and add your favorite spices!
Vegan Mac and Cheese Toppings
This mac and cheese is oh so delish on its own, but feel free to get creative and add your favorite toppings:
- Steamed or roasted broccoli
- Roasted brussels sprouts
- Steamed peas
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Roasted red peppers
- Hot sauce
- Bread crumbs
If you’re not vegan, and want to just keep this recipe dairy-free, top with:
- Seared ahi tuna
- Honey sriracha shredded chicken
- Pulled BBQ chicken
- Honey garlic shredded chicken
- Diced bacon
More Vegan Recipes
- Vegan Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot Vegan Pad Thai
- Mexican Sweet Potato Quinoa Casserole
- Creamy Tomato Basil Vegan Pasta
Super Simple Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 3/4 cup raw cashews soaked
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Frank's Hot Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz. noodles
- Place all ingredients (except for noodles) into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place cheese sauce into a small saucepan and heat over low/medium to your desired temperature.
- Pour vegan cheese sauce over your favorite noodles and enjoy!
Would sriracha work for the hot sauce?
Yes! I only buy Sriracha so I think it’s an easy alternative!
I have made this recipe mulptiple times (i just add a couple of carrots for more nutrition & a bit more water).
It is simple and a great recipe for lazy week nights at my house!!
The flavors are great. The hot sauce adds a nice kick without being too much. Even our 5 yr old loves it 🙂
I highly recommend it!!
That makes us so happy! It’s so delish! What a great idea to add carrots! <3
Can I use coconut milk instead of water?
Hi! That should work just fine!
Do you think apple cider vinegar would work in place of white vinegar in this recipe??
Yes, that should work just fine! They have a little bit of a different flavor, but we’ve used apple cider vinegar before and it worked just fine!
Just had this for dinner, so tasty and cheesy! Fun to make too 🙂 My Cookworks hand blender (UK) was more than up to the job. Thanks for the recipe!
You got too many ads on mobile to properly view your recipe
YUM! Can’t wait to make this. Looks amazing. I usually pulse a few cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, and paprika in the spice blender and add it on top – it’s just like vegan parm cheese <3 Thanks so much for sharing!
Too many ads to view the recipe
So easy and fast xD I just made my mac and cheese today so maybe I won’t make it until next week. Using the cashew and nutritional yeast certainly brings the bowl to a higher level of nutrition. It’s totally worth a try – Natalie
Yes! Mac and cheese is the best! We can’t wait to hear how you like it!
Okay. You’ve FINALLY convinced me to work with cashews and make vegan macaroni and cheese. To be fair, cashews are incredibly expensive where I grocery shop, so I’ve been hesitant on using them. BUT. This recipe looks way too irresistible! I love making cheese sauce out of cauliflower, beans, potatoes and carrots, and squash as a cheaper alternative! Either way, vegan mac n’ cheese is on my recipes-to-make-ASAP list. And I am loving it!
Yes, we love making tasty sauces out of veggies and beans, too! It’s just so fun and tasty. Cashews can be expensive! We swear by buying in bulk at Fresh Thyme or even the co-op. We have also found some fairly inexpensive cashews on amazon. We can’t wit for you to try it!!