This healthy Vegan Broccoli and Cheese Casserole is packed with creamy vegan cheese, broccoli florets and quinoa, and topped with crispy chickpeas. Does it get any better? And it can be baked in under an hour. Dinner is served!
Broccoli and cheese is a combo that just belongs together. Anyone else agree?! I grew up in Wisconsin where it’s appropriate (and expected?) to add cheese to pretty much any recipe, and broccoli and cheese was no exception. We’re talking steamed broccoli with that delicious brick of not-so-vegan Velveeta cheese 😉 Think of this broccoli and cheese casserole as a grown-up version of this Midwestern favorite. And packed with more than just vegan cheese and broccoli. In this casserole you’ll find a terrific combination of the broccoli and cheese flavors you’ve loved since childhood (maybe this is just me?) with quinoa, vegetable broth, garlic powder and topped with crispy crunchy roasted chickpeas.
Vegan Meal Prep
We know the vegan meal prep world can be tough, but we’re here to tell you that this vegan broccoli and cheese casserole is just as good reheated as it is right when it comes out of the oven. The vegan cheese sauce will thicken a bit when refrigerated, so if you’re making this casserole as a vegan meal prep option for the week, feel free to add a few tablespoons of vegetable broth when reheating. Now, let’s chat all things vegan cheese sauce before we send you on your way.
Vegan Cheese Sauce
The vegan cheese sauce in this broccoli and cheese casserole is rich and creamy and truly does taste cheesy. Hard to believe it’s dairy-free! But you bet your bippies we recipe tested this vegan cheese sauce to perfection until we were completely satisfied with its creamy, cheesy nature. And it’s pretty easy to whip up! We promise. Vegan cheese recipe ingredients include:
- Sweet potato puree
- Nutritional yeast
- Vegetable broth
- Apple cider vinegar
Whip these ingredients together in your food processor until you have your desired creamy thickness for your vegan cheese recipe, and you’re well on your way to the goodness that is this broccoli and cheese casserole.
Fit Foodie Finds Recipes with Vegan Sauce
We’ve been loving up on vegan sauces here at FFF for a while now. Sauces like these with a base of pureed cashews are just oh-so-creamy, and we can’t get enough. Don’t miss these other Fit Foodie Finds recipes with vegan sauce:
- Super Simple Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Tomato Basil Vegan Pasta
- Vegan Queso
- Creamy Greek Pasta Salad with Cashew Vegan Pesto
- Creamy Vegan Pasta with Sautéed Kale and Tomatoes
Vegetarian Casseroles on Fit Foodie Finds
- Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
- Mexican Sweet Potato Quinoa Casserole
- Sweet Potato Green Curry Quinoa Casserole
- Naked Spinach Quinoa Lasagna Casserole
- Healthy Green Bean Casserole
- Lasagna Zucchini Casserole
- Sweet Potato Spinach Lasagna
Vegan Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
- First, preheat oven to 375ºF and spray an 8x8-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together vegan cheese sauce, vegetable broth, and garlic powder.
- Then, place quinoa on the bottom of your casserole dish and pour on the cheese mixture. Mix well.
- Place broccoli florets on top of quinoa and press them down. Then, cover casserole dish completely with tin foil.
- Bake casserole at 375ºF, covered, for 25 minutes.
- While the casserole is baking, prepare crunchy garbanzo beans. Place garbanzo beans on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Then, season with chili powder and salt and toss with your hands.
- After the 25 minutes is up, take the casserole out of the oven and remove tin foil. Then, place back in the oven on the bottom rack and place garbanzo beans in the oven on the top rack. Bake at 375ºF for 25 minutes.
- Remove both from the oven. Let sit for about 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve the broccoli and cheese casserole with a few crunchy garbanzo beans on top along with your favorite hot sauce.
Tips & Notes
5 Ingredients – 4 Vegan Meal Prep Ideas
We took 5 basic vegan ingredients that you likely have on hand at all times and made 4 different vegan peal prep recipes! Each recipe uses all 5 ingredients (sweet potato, onion, garlic, garbanzo beans, and quinoa) plus a few other basic add-ins for 4 completely different vegan meal prep ideas.