Making homemade almond milk is easier than you think. All you need is almonds, vanilla bean, dates, and a nut milk bag to make a vegan, gluten free, and paleo-friendly Date Sweetened Homemade Almond Milk.
Are you thinking what I’m thinking? Why in da heck did it take Linley and me so long to make our own almond milk? SERIOUSLY. Well, it happened and we are so excited about it. We were inspired by a new coffee shop in downtown Minneapolis called Penny’s. It is an chic + cozy coffee shop with a great patio. When we worked there for the first time a few months ago, we both order an almond milk latte with their homemade date-sweetened almond milk! LIGHTBULB.
Hello!? We use or drink almond milk on the daily and thought that a naturally sweetened almond milk would be a great addition to the fit foodie fridge. Lin and I have also realized that when you work with the same person every day and for so long (which we love), sometimes you need a breath of new inspiration. Sometimes it’s easy to get stuck in your hamster wheel of flavors and techniques in the kitchen.Hence, the making of our very own homemade almond milk. We are challenging ourselves to expand our knowledge by doing some research, travel, and maybe even taking some cooking classes! YAY.
Just a heads up, will be throwing some new techniques, flavors, and so much more your way this fall. We were a bit intimated to make our own almond milk and now, it’s here. A great reminder that you can really do anything if you just put your mind to it.
So this almond milk. It’s so incredibly easy to make and you only need a few ingredients!
Once you have everything you need, it only takes a few steps and some patience to make your very own almond milk!
Step One: Soak the Almonds.
Yes, it does take a bit of time for the almonds to soak…at least 24 hours, that is. Plan accordingly and I promise this is the longest step in the process.
Add almonds, dates, vanilla beans, salt, and water into the blender. BLEND.
Pour your almond mixture into a nut milk bag and SQUEEZE. Make sure you have a container that is big enough to catch all your almond milk!
Enjoy your almond milk in your coffee, overnight oats, smoothie, etc!
The Best Date Sweetened Homemade Almond Milk
- 1 lb. raw almonds (3 cups)
- 6 cups of water (+ more for soaking)
- pinch of salt
- 15 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 vanilla bean, paste
- First, place 3 cups of almonds in a large bowl. Then completely submerge them with water and let soak for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, your almonds should be soft(er). Strain and rinse. Then, place in a high-speed blender.
- Add 6 cups of water, a pinch of salt, 15 medjool dates, and the paste from 1/2 a vanilla bean.
- Blend on high for 1 to 2 minutes, or until everything in the blender has been pulverized.
- Using a nut milk bag, strain the almond milk from the nut pulp, squeezing out as much milk as possible. Then, transfer into jars.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.