This grilled cauliflower is steamed for 10 minutes and then perfectly grilled for an amazing side for any meal!
The Best Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
We love a good vegetarian side dish that we can grill alongside any of our grilling recipes. This cauliflower can be grilled with our grilled carrots, grilled corn, or even our grilled zucchini for a veggie-packed grilled meal.
Have you ever made grilled cauliflower and the outside is grilled to perfection and the inside is still raw? Us too! Not this grilled cauliflower recipe. Steam the cauliflower first to make sure it’s cooked and then quickly grill it at high heat.
Get our Top 10 5-Star Recipes!
Join our email list for new recipes and BONUS: get our top 10 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ recipes e-book!
How to Make Grilled Cauliflower
- Steam the cauliflower. Place the trimmed cauliflower into a steam basket and then place the steam basket in a large pot. Pour about 1/2 cup of water into the pot and cover. Steam the head of cauliflower for 10 minutes.
- Season the cauliflower. Carefully remove the cauliflower from the pot and let it cool for 5 minutes. Drizzle olive oil over the head of the cauliflower and massage the oil into the cauliflower. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the cauliflower.
- Throw the cauliflower on the grill. Preheat the grill to 400ºF and cover it with tin foil. Place the cauliflower on the grill flat side down and grill for around 15 minutes.
- Give it a flip. Carefully flip the cauliflower halfway through the grill time onto the cauliflower head (yes, upside down) and grill for the rest of the time.
- Remove from the grill. Remove the cauliflower from the grill and let it cool. Chop into pieces or into cauliflower steaks.
Why Do I Have to Steam Cauliflower?
- Steaming the cauliflower cooks the inside of the cauliflower head and then you need less time on the grill.
- Grilling a steamed head of cauliflower at a high heat helps to char the outside of the cauliflower head.
- We like to steam a head of cauliflower rather than cutting the cauliflower into steaks because cauliflower steaks tend to fall apart easily!
Trust us, steam first and then grill!
Tips + Tricks for Grilling a Whole Head of Cauliflower
Can I grill a small head of cauliflower?
It is ok if you have a smaller head of cauliflower. We recommend steaming a smaller cauliflower head for 5 minutes rather than 10 minutes for a large cauliflower head.
Why is my grilled cauliflower soggy?
Your cauliflower is probably soggy because you steamed it for too long! If you have a smaller head of cauliflower be sure to check on the cauliflower every 2-3 minutes so it doesn’t become soggy.
How long to grill cauliflower?
Begin by steaming a head of cauliflower for around 10 minutes. Then, grill it at 400ºF for around 15 minutes, flipping it every 5 minutes.
If you really want to add some extra flavor to your grilled cauliflower try sprinkling 1/2 tablespoon of one of the seasonings below onto the cauliflower head. Massage the spices into the cauliflower head and proceed with the recipe.
Looking to Grill Cauliflower Steaks?
If you’re not interested in grilling the whole head of cauliflower, you can absolutely make grilled cauliflower steaks instead!
Simply let your steamed cauliflower cool for 10 minutes before slicing it into steaks. Then, grill each steak for around 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Serving Options for Grilled Cauliflower
Beer Brats- Ever heard of beer brats? Beer-boiled brats are by far the most delicious way to cook brats. Start by boiling your brats in beer and then finish them off with a sear on the grill, some ketchup & mustard, and relish too!
Grilled Steak- Get tender, juicy, perfectly grilled steak with this “how to grill steak” post. We’ll give you the best tips and tricks for grilling steak like a professional.
Grilled Chicken Legs- These are the best grilled chicken thighs because the skin gets nice and crispy on the outside while the inside is tender and juicy.
Ground Chicken Burgers- If you are looking for a staple chicken burger recipe, this is it! These ground chicken burgers are so flavorful and moist and topped with our secret burger sauce.
Place the grilled cauliflower into an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Preheat the grill to 400ºF and lay a piece of tin foil over the grill.
- Next, place a steam basket in a dutch oven and place the cauliflower in a steamer. Pour about 1/2 cup of water into the dutch oven and cover.
- Bring the water to a boil and steam the cauliflower head for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cauliflower from the steamer and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Rub the cauliflower head with olive oil and then season it with salt and pepper.
- To grill the whole head of cauliflower – place the cauliflower onto the grill for 15 minutes, flipping the cauliflower upside down halfway through the cook time.
- To grill cauliflower steaks – slice the head of cauliflower into 1-inch thick steaks. Then, place the cauliflower steaks onto the grill and cook for 8-10 minutes, flipping the cauliflower upside down halfway through the cook time.
- Remove from the grill and chop the cauliflower into pieces or cauliflower steaks.